Sunday, January 4, 2009

Greatness.....


"Whatever you do will be insignificant,
but it is very important that you do it."
Mahatma Gandhi
Indian political and spiritual leader (1869 - 1948)

As I start a new year, I usually look at my goals from the last one and realize how many I didn't accomplish. I often think what is the purpose of this life? Not in a depressing, I want to die sort of way, just in a "what am I suppose to be doing here way?" I know I have my kids, and my family. I get, and appreciate what I have been given. I definitely feel as though I have been given more than I deserve.
However, I don't feel Great. I don't know that anyone besides my family will remember me. I don't know that I have done things that would make others think, I am a better person for associating with her. I honestly don't write this for "oh but you are so nice" comments. I really want to know what your thoughts are on this subject. I have been reading a few books lately that have made me ponder whether or not we get too choose if we are great or if it is assigned. I wonder if people are great because they don't know that they are, and that is what makes them great? Or if they know they need to be, and that is what makes them great? Have you ever read a book, and been tired just from reading about their lives and all they accomplished? Not in a way of they had everything, and did everything the right way, and always made the best choices, but in a great influential kind of way. One of the book's I read was about Emma Smith. In an effort to be honest this year, I will tell you I got a little down reading this book because she was amazing. She went through so much, had incredible faith, I think easily one of the strongest women I have read about, and still made dinner and hosted people at her home, constantly. I barely made it through the holidays, and took 3 days off after to do nothing (but read about how great other people are.) Obviously, as it was a biography of her life, everyone said nice complimentary things about her, but she was indeed Great. Everyone in and out of the church alike, think she was an amazing lady. The second book I am now reading is about a leader in India who was amazing, he worked and lived his life with such conviction. He was obviously Great. He will be remembered by millions. I am sure he didn't do the things in his life so that he will be remembered as this great man. I know he did things because he believed in them. So my question I pose to all 5 of you that might be reading this blog: What does it mean to you to be great? And do you truly believe that each of us have the potential to be great? And if you want/need to answer one more question have you found the thing that is important for you to do in your life to be great? (That one you can answer in your head if you want)...

Oh and P.S. Happy New Year...... :)

14 comments:

Angie Birkeland said...

I didn't know you could be so deep? Great post. I feel like everyone is Great. Everyone will be remembered by someone. That is all it takes. You don't have to be this person that accomplishes EVERYTHING, or invents something amazing, or has huge financial success, or helps millions of people. I feel like being Great comes from within. It is our own love for ourself and having a true conviction of who we really are. There can't be any comparing. We are all individuals. God always sees us individually as his GREATEST gift.
Maybe that makes sense!!!

The Baker Family said...

Wow Whit. Never have I heard you say something serious!! Of course, I don't see you much. :) I think about this subject sometimes, and I think about Jesus and how his life was completely spent doing service. In life now, service is so rare because of how busy things are. If you find time to give even a minute of your time in any form of service, then you are doing great!!

King Family said...

this is a hard one for me. i just think that everyone has the potential to be great to someone and that is all that really matters. i think if you can make a difference in just 1 person's life than you are considered great.

The Tracy's said...

Whit,
I'm pretty sure we'll all be great when we die. Have you ever gone to a funeral where they said that the deceased person wasn't great. My family attended a funeral of an aunt recently that they swear they didn't know. For sure the speakers will think we're great. I'm counting on it.:)
T
ps I think you're pretty great!

Coco said...

Good done anywhere is good done everywhere.--Maya Angelou

I used to think there were two kinds of people--average and AMAZING. I felt average, but wanted to be AMAZING (like, change the world, amazing). But after hearing the above quote by Maya Angelou, I realized, "what I do does make a difference all over." Ripple effect-ish.

So, now I think the truth is we are all beautiful and amazing and brillant. We all make the world a better place--literally, the whole world. Some people just get to do that AND be on CNN.

8)

The Hunt's said...

Great New Years Post. Ghandi was extraordinarily great. Emma, really great. Big leaguers. I also think though those people were put into extraordinary situations. I believe that were you or I put into an extraordinary situation, we too would rise to greatness. I also believe that all of us have moments of greatness, I can look back at my life experience and can be very proud of some of the GREAT things I have been involved in. Where I think maybe my presence and influence made a difference. While I am not immersed in those situations everyday, when presented with them, I can be great. I also think that you and I and probably a great many people that read this blog are entrenched in a GREAT, GREAT work everyday. We are raising and teaching humans. People. Humans that will grow to be contributing, worth while, successful people in this world and that is huge. A work that perhaps is discounted or undervalued in today's society. We as mothers need to give ourselves more credit. I may not be gracing the cover of Newsweek, or negotiating peace treaties in the Middle East, as I once thought I wanted to do, but like I said I am raising a daughter who will stand for truth and right and contribute to society in a meaningful way (I hope!) and the world needs both those kind of people. Both engaged in a great work. Some not as glamorous as others, but great just the same. So cut yourself some slack Whit. We all have opportunities to be great.

Kadee said...

Whit-
Since you are on a reading kick read this book next...I am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson. (I have it if you want to borrow it) It is amazing and really helped me when I was asking myself similar questions. I guarantee you will feel "great" after!

Tammi said...

Whit, first off, how funny that someone recommended that book from jane clayson johnson--we heard her talk about his very subject! Anyway, my sister-in-law's (Allison) sister has a blog and she started it to keep a journal about her journey as the wife of an addict (her husband whom she married in the temple and has 3 kids with has battled addiction for the last 5 years or so. She just recently made the decision to divorce, and this has been one of the HARDEST trials I can ever imagine...) Anyway, she always writes with great insight, and she has a quote that says, "maybe I've been put on earth to be an ordinary person. not to do anything great, but to do something small that involves great love". She hasn't done anything remarkable or original, but she certainly has been GREAT at being her kids' mom, and I know if it weren't for her, they wouldn't stand a chance through this horrible situation! So, how does this apply to you? Well, i think your friend who mentioned service had you in mind...you're always giving your time and doing things for others, you ARe your kids' hero...I think what I need to remember, is that my being a mom WON'T matter, if I don't do it with all my heart! If i just "do it", and go through the motions, like it's something that just happened to me (like so many do), then my life WON'T really make much of a difference....i do agree with the comment about being put in extraordinary situations too...SORRY so long! I love ya! I'm never bored reading your blog!

Wanna be farm girl said...

I think you are great..............and those are not small words.

Scott, Tauna and Camille said...

Whit - I think part of being great starts with making cookies for you Visiting Teaching sisters . . . or not. Miss you, my back-door neighbor.

Anna said...

I knew you were that deep. I just thought we could talk rather than blog. Boo again.

Alicia said...

Whittney, My (GREAT) daughter-in-law. I feel so lucky to have you in our families' life and grateful that you are married to my son. This subject is one I have thought about especially since the aging process which is no fun. I went to a class yesterday where the teacher said we all fall into one of 3 categories. Pick yours and know that you are great! 1. "Pathfinderss (pioneerss)" 2. Perpetuators of the covenant and 3. Repairers of the Breech. Isaiah 58:12. Another thought that comes to mines is: "Out of Small Things Proceedeth That Which Is Great" (D&C 64:33). I will rely on that quote to bring comfort to myself. Have a great day and know that you are loved. Alicia

Charmaine Anderson said...

Hi Whitney, Isn't blogging great! Yours is fun. This is a very thoughtful post because most of us just want to get through today...everyone else is selfishly caught up in self gratification and fun. People like Ghandi and Emma Smith knew that being great is about learning how to be a loving person, often at the expense of their own comfort. Charity Suffereth long and is Kind, envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked,etc. This is what real greatness is all about. Right now you are in the school of "learn how to love your family" and serve them. Family life will be a training ground for what you can do when time is more abundant. I am doing 2 things right now I never imagined I would do: teaching people how to write their family stories and painting. The first one is my mission the second one is my relaxing joy. I think I was led to both when I opened myself to guidance. You are lucky to be a mother with the knowledge you have and the desire to do it right. This time will end so quickly--enjoy the ride and "pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart that ye may be filled with this love." Moroni 7:48Nothing feels better than knowing you are doing your best at being loving.

Unknown said...

Whittney, you are amazing and I love you with all my heart. That was an awesome post. It really makes people (more than 5) stop and think. Think about what you've said, and where they are in their own lives. I was "tired" reading the Marjorie Pay Hinkley book - she was also a great lady. You don't have to have thousands of people remember who you are, or do something memorable to be great. To your kids, you are the greatest mom ever. To your mother, you are an awesome woman. Thanks for being you and for making me grateful to be your mom.