Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Feet Look Better Without Toenails....


It all began in January after that terrible experience I had with the St. George Half Marathon. Not only did I gain weight training for it, I got really sick. So I saw a few girls out running the neighborhood, and joined them. They were training for the Ogden Marathon. I thought...Hey I should lose some weight training for a Marathon Right? I've seen the women on the front of the Runner's World they are hot....so I joined the ladies and started training. I have to say that I gained another 10lbs, and never have been more frustrated in my life, however, I can now say that I finished my first Marathon. Most people who knew me just said "Oh it is probably just muscle." Well not to make you feel sorry for me, but it is not. Oh well, I lost two toenails and I am sure that those weighed a few lbs each, so at least I have that. All in all it was a wonderful experience, and I actually want to do it again. Only next time I want to win...jk....I do want to be a little faster, and maybe at least beat Oprah. Next time hopefully I will be ready for mile 23 and it's mean little spirit that whispered in my ear "walking isn't so bad" "You could walk to the finish, no one will think you suck." But thanks to the funny and motivational signs during the last three miles that kept me at least jogging. Thanks to Jason for being so supportive and the girls, for my sister and my Dad and Jeanie for coming and cheering me on at mile 18, and for not making fun of the way I ran or hobbled through the finish line (oh wait you did), and to Jamba Juice for giving me the best tasting thing I could have imagined at the end. Of course I couldn't have done it without all the advice from my training partner, Dominique. Here's to not being able to wear sandals in the summer, and here's to the next one.....

11 comments:

Anna said...

Way to go. You are way cooler and faster than me.

Kadee said...

I seriously can not beleive you are already talking about the next one! You are crazier than I ever thought. j/k I am just in awe. Congrats! What an accomplishment. You look awesome too!

Youngins said...

That sounds horrible!!! Don't call me to be your trainer, I would tell you to give up...no toenails?!?!?! Well glad you finished with a smile, I would be crying my eyes out!!

Isaac's said...

WHOO HOO!! You did it! and without toe nails! You go girl! Your blog cracks me up.. your so funny... Anyway.. need to get together soon.. maybe a walk and picnic! yeah!
sie-

Sarah E said...

What an inspiration you are! Go Whittney! I would like to one day say that I completed a marathon. Not sure that'll ever happen though. Ryan has put a serious dampener on that goal by telling me that I run just like Phoebe from Friends. :( I guess I will have to settle on living vicariously through people like you.

Alicia said...

Whittney, you are a winner. I am in total awe of your accomplishment. I wish I could have been there to see you fly into the finish. I will be waving a banner next time you run your marithon.

Tammi said...

You're my hero, Whitt! Wish I could've been there too! Wish I had ANY of the self-discipline that you do! I can't even get myself off peanut M&Ms! I'm sure you're just adorable with no toenails!

Megan said...

Congratulations Whit.

Kimmi, Ciaran and Cabhan's Korner said...

WOW Whit that is so dang awsome. What an accomplishment. I am very proud of you.
kimberly

The Lunds said...

So I just found your blog through someone elses. Good find on my part. Okay, I was laughing so freakin hard when I read the blog entries about Olivia's stories she has written. Pretty amazing. I miss the old ward soooooooo much. Primary is pretty sad, kind of like a ghost town. Oh well, what can you do?

Somer said...

Okay, we found you. You know that totally round about way that you find people. Ella is so excited.